Education and Training
It can be difficult for those conducting prescribed fire, particularly private landowners, to get the education and training they need to burn safely and effectively. The training and education resources on this page, along with events such as learn and burn workshops can help address this issue.
Know of a training opportunity or education resource not listed here? Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
State Training Opportunities
Some states in the South provide prescribed fire training opportunities for non-agency personnel. These opportunities are often connected to the state certified burner program, if one is available.
- Alabama Forestry Commission
- Arkansas Forestry Division
- Florida Forest Service
- Georgia Forestry Commission
- Mississippi Forestry Commission
- North Carolina Forest Service
- South Carolina Forestry Commission
- Texas A&M Forest Service
- Texas Department of Agriculture
Other Training Opportunities
- Basic Prescribed Fire Training Online Course
- The Nature Conservancy
- Wildland Fire Learning Portal
- Fire in the Field Online Wildland Firefighter Training
- eFIRE Interactive Online Course
- The Driptorch Digest Newsletter (lists individual upcoming training opportunities)
- Fire Science Exchange Network members
- Forestry Webinar Portal
University and and College Online Education
Those seeking to begin or advance a career in wildland fire may need at least some formal education. Online education opportunities are often preferred, particularly for those already working in the field. Below is a list of universities and colleges that either offer individual online fire courses or entirely online fire programs. Please note that some of these programs offer only certain courses in an online format. In addition, some programs are focused on courses related to structural firefighting, however those programs still include courses which may be useful to wildland fire professionals.
This list is organized by state and includes the name of the university or college, the program area, and a link to the program website. An expanded version of this list, including specific courses offered online, prerequisites, and a link to information on tuition and fees, is available upon request.
- Northern Arizona University – 401 Series Fire Ecology and Management Certificate
- Colorado State University – Fire and Emergency Services Administration
- Hawai‘i Community College – Fire Science
- University of Idaho – Fire Ecology and Management
- Lake Land College – Fire Technology
- North Carolina
- North Carolina State University – Fire Ecology
- Other Resources